> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Bankruptcy > What can I do or find out what I did wrong for a trustee to force me to file this year's taxes when my Bankruptcy was filed and discharged

What can I do or find out what I did wrong for a trustee to force me to file this year's taxes when my Bankruptcy was filed and discharged

1 Answers. Asked on Oct 07th, 2017 on Bankruptcy - Missouri
More details to this question:
Presented all requested info to the lawyer hired for filing including tax documents for (2015 tax year)had the meeting late Dec.2016, received discharge Mar. 2017, started receiving letters from trustee not knowing nothing about this part of bankruptcy, I contact my lawyer and never got an understanding as to why I was receiving these court looking documents from someone other than my lawyer, but they're receiving the same info and hasn't contacted me. Aug 2017 I contact the lawyer I hired to get an explanation and as expected the legal aid or receptionist had no information for me. Finally I find out they need my previous years tax return in which I hadn't filed(2016). After several weeks of being threatened to have my Bankruptcy dismissed if I didn't comply with the trustees wishes, I filed. (Refund normally intercepted for student loans, tax preparer also confirmed this for me this time as well) lawyer office TEXT me to tell me I owe the trustee and I ask why with no understanding
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Licenced in MO
Answered on Oct 12th, 2017 at 8:50 AM

There is a certain amount of your income that becomes part of the bankruptcy estate based on the day your attorney filed the case. It's an equation that attorneys and trustees use to determine the amount of income and taxes that were earned/owed based on the filing date. You did nothing wrong, it is just a mathematical equation.

Report Abuse
If you're struggling to pay off your delinquent debts and getting hounded by collection agencies, then it's time to address your financial problems. And filing for personal bankruptcy may be the ideal solution. Whether you're an individual or married couple considering Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy, or a business considering a Chapter 11 reorganization, or a farmer considering Chapter 12, you need the advice and guidance of an experienced bankruptcy attorney. Your lawyer can help determine which form of bankruptcy is right for you, prepare and file all of the paperwork, and advise you throughout the bankruptcy process.
Have an Bankruptcy Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

328 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

239 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

177 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

98 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

97 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

85 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Stephen A. Black

Attorney - Florida

66 Answers, 11 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums