> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Bankruptcy > couple owns house one leaves and now that one is fileing bankrutcy what happens to the other person that's in the house

couple owns house one leaves and now that one is fileing bankrutcy what happens to the other person that's in the house

1 Answers. Asked on Mar 09th, 2014 on Bankruptcy - New Mexico
More details to this question:
relashionship ended badly.both own the now files for bankruptcy.what is the law for the other person sill with the mortage?(couple not married)
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Mar 11th, 2014 at 12:28 PM

In this set of circumstances, due to the fact that the couple is not married, the non-bankruptcy filing person of the comparable will be liable for all of the mortgage. Basically if two people on a house, and one file bankruptcy, that person walks away from the mortgage if they received a discharge and are no longer liable for any mortgage payments. The remaining person who has not file bankruptcy, now is required to pay all mortgage payments or file their own bankruptcy.


I have responded to your inquiry according to the laws of Massachusetts, where my firm is located. Laws can vary significantly from state to state and cases tend to be rather fact-specific, so you are best served by consulting with a knowledgeable attorney in weighing your options.

Email messages/Online Correspondence are akin to conversations and do not reflect the level of analysis applied to formal legal opinions. Email/Online responses do not form an attorney-client relationship. 

Joseph F. Botelho, Esq.

Attorneys At Law

901 Eastern Ave. 
Unit 2
Fall River, MA 02723 

Office:  888-269-0688
FAX:    877-475-8147

Report Abuse
If you're struggling to pay off your delinquent debts and getting hounded by collection agencies, then it's time to address your financial problems. And filing for personal bankruptcy may be the ideal solution. Whether you're an individual or married couple considering Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy, or a business considering a Chapter 11 reorganization, or a farmer considering Chapter 12, you need the advice and guidance of an experienced bankruptcy attorney. Your lawyer can help determine which form of bankruptcy is right for you, prepare and file all of the paperwork, and advise you throughout the bankruptcy process.
Have an Bankruptcy Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

329 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

243 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

178 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

104 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

97 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

85 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

67 Answers, 24 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums