> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Bankruptcy > Chapter 7 discharged but confused of turning over tax refund over to trustee.

Chapter 7 discharged but confused of turning over tax refund over to trustee.

1 Answers. Asked on Mar 02nd, 2013 on Bankruptcy - Utah
More details to this question:
My wife and I recently had our chapter 7 discharged. We had originally filed Oct 9, 2012 and had our 341 meeting Nov 21, 2012. To our understanding we were going to have to turn over our 2012 tax return and whatever percentage of the tax refund that was required. At our 341 meeting the trustee was a "substitute" to the original one that was supposed to be there. When we were called up by the trustee she went through all our paper work with our attorney at our side, she never mentioned anything about obtaining our 2012 tax return. We asked our lawyer about that, and his excuse was that she was a substitute, and to wait for a letter in the mail within 14 days. we waited and received nothing. Feb 7 2013, we received our tax refund. We turned the tax papers in to our attorney and they said to wait for a response from the trustee, we waited for weeks until just yesterday we finally got something and a motion to object paper with it. Since it was not stated at the meeting.can we object?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Mar 02nd, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Was the potential 2012 tax refund listed as an asset on your bankruptcy papers and exempted?  If so, and the Trustee did not object within 30 days following the date your meeting was CONCLUDED with the Trustee, then it is yours to keep.   Otherwise, it belongs to the Trustee.

You need to determine the above, including the date the 341(a) meeting was concluded (if it was concluded), in order to have your question answsered.

I have no idea what the "motion to object" you reference is about or who filed it, so I cannot express an opinion on that.

Mark Markus has been practicing exclusively bankruptcy law in California since 1991.  He is a Certified Specialist in Bankruptcy Law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization,  AV-Rated by, and A+ rated by the Better Business Bureau.  

Report Abuse
If you're struggling to pay off your delinquent debts and getting hounded by collection agencies, then it's time to address your financial problems. And filing for personal bankruptcy may be the ideal solution. Whether you're an individual or married couple considering Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy, or a business considering a Chapter 11 reorganization, or a farmer considering Chapter 12, you need the advice and guidance of an experienced bankruptcy attorney. Your lawyer can help determine which form of bankruptcy is right for you, prepare and file all of the paperwork, and advise you throughout the bankruptcy process.
Have an Bankruptcy Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

326 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

242 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

177 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

99 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

98 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

87 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

67 Answers, 24 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums