> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Bankruptcy > Bankruptcy case dismissed, can I refile

Bankruptcy case dismissed, can I refile

1 Answers. Asked on Jul 11th, 2013 on Bankruptcy - Texas
More details to this question:
I used an online service to draw up my paperwork. One of the docs was kicked out and I was told by the individual that prepared that the case was dismissed. Apparently it was not and I am going to miss my meeting. Also, I was in Texas temporarily and was told that I could file there because I had a TX id, but have actually have lived in MN for 6 years. It was an emergency chapter 13.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jul 11th, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Once your case is dismissed, you can refile unless the Order dismissing your case contains a prohibition on refiling for 180 days.

In the new case you will only have the benefit of the automatic stay, which prevents your creditors from taking collection actions against you, for 30 days unless you file a motion and have the court grant an extension WITHIN that 30 days of that 30 day period.  

You've already discovered one of the many reasons why you need an experienced attorney to represent you.  This is yet another.  Click here for my article on the importance of having a bankruptcy attorney.

As far as WHERE your case can be filed, it can be filed in the district where you have resided OR had your principal assets located for the greater part of the 180 days prior to the filing of the case.  Usually this is 91 days unless you have moved a lot.

Mark Markus has been practicing exclusively bankruptcy law in California since 1991.  He is a Certified Specialist in Bankruptcy Law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization,  AV-Rated by, and A+ rated by the Better Business Bureau. 

Report Abuse
If you're struggling to pay off your delinquent debts and getting hounded by collection agencies, then it's time to address your financial problems. And filing for personal bankruptcy may be the ideal solution. Whether you're an individual or married couple considering Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy, or a business considering a Chapter 11 reorganization, or a farmer considering Chapter 12, you need the advice and guidance of an experienced bankruptcy attorney. Your lawyer can help determine which form of bankruptcy is right for you, prepare and file all of the paperwork, and advise you throughout the bankruptcy process.
Have an Bankruptcy Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

329 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

243 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

178 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

104 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

97 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

85 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

67 Answers, 24 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums