> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Bankruptcy > Hello my name Karen my license suspended from parking tickets can u help?????

Hello my name Karen my license suspended from parking tickets can u help?????

1 Answers. Asked on Feb 22nd, 2017 on Bankruptcy - Illinois
More details to this question:
I filed chapter 7 about 4 years ago I believe and it was discharged and I received a couple more tickets then the city suspended my license again can u guys help ??????
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Feb 23rd, 2017 at 8:48 AM

The simple answer is that a Bankruptcy attorney can be of assistance.  The devil is, however, in the details.

Any BK - 7 or 13 - is only effective to existing debts at the time of filing.  From your details, it appears you received addition tickets post-filing.  They woulld not be included in the earlier filing.  There is also a question regarding the prior BK7 and if it really discharged the earlier tickets (as they may have been non-dischargeable).  In the Northern District of Illinois, many people choose to file a Chapter 13 [Wage Earners Plan] to obtain a discharge in 3 to 5 years with monthly payments resulting. 

With either a BK7 or a BK13, there is a Stay issued, whereby you can obtain a new license.  A fee may be involved as well as an SR 22 proving insurance before any reinstatement.  The exact date of your filing needs to be established, but time passage seems to be an issue for another BK7 filing.  There is, by statute, an 8 year wait between eligibility for such filings, whereby a BK13 may be required.

The starting point is the federal district where you reside.  It may be in the Northern District (i.e. Chicago and the collar counties) or it could be another District (e.g. Peoria).  If you did not move, it would be were the prior BK7 was filed.  Whether you can fund a Plan also needs to be determined; it may also be for cents on the dollar.  That depends on both the debts and your assets.  Hence, there appears to be a need for an attorney.  The suggested starting point for any such call is your County Bar Association.  It should know the District (if that remains a question) and may be able to refer you to attorneys in the area that practice Bankrupcty.  You can then check out the attorneys via there websites, make an appointment, and then discuss your situation in detail.

Report Abuse
If you're struggling to pay off your delinquent debts and getting hounded by collection agencies, then it's time to address your financial problems. And filing for personal bankruptcy may be the ideal solution. Whether you're an individual or married couple considering Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy, or a business considering a Chapter 11 reorganization, or a farmer considering Chapter 12, you need the advice and guidance of an experienced bankruptcy attorney. Your lawyer can help determine which form of bankruptcy is right for you, prepare and file all of the paperwork, and advise you throughout the bankruptcy process.
Have an Bankruptcy Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

353 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

239 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

177 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

109 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

76 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

72 Answers, 28 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

66 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums